“The Moon” Video

“The Moon” Video

Here’s a video I shot recently, of the moon, as it moves across the sky.

It’s a very simple video, but along with the music “Moonlight Sonata” from Beethoven, it’s quite relaxing to watch.

I shot this with a Canon EF 600mm F4 lens, fitted with a 1.4X and a 2.0X Extender on a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV camera, which gives me an effective focal length of 2,184mm, so the moon almost fills the frame. You can also see a shimmering on the surface of the moon, caused by the warm air of the early summer night on which the video was shot. It was 28°C or 82°F as I sat on my balcony shooting this, being eaten by mosquitoes. :-)

Click on the fullscreen button in the bottom right of the video window to watch full-screen, and don’t forget to turn up your speakers.

I was out on the balcony for maybe 30 to 40 minutes. I shot a few movies before this one, with the 1.4X extender, then just the 2.0X, then when I thought the resolution/sharpness would hold, I went for the 1.4X and the 2.0X extender together.

I shot the complete traverse of the frame twice, but the first time I had the moon entering the frame a little further to the right, so it exited higher too, which I didn’t like. This video is the second full traverse of the frame at this focal length.

Comments (29)

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Henry Lee Stradford

• Pingback: Travis

• Pingback: Tom Barnett

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Giles Heather

May 23rd, 2010 at 18:50

Stunning Martin

• May 23rd, 2010 at 18:56

Good stuff!

You should shoot it again during a full moon. Then we’ll get to see the man on the moon (Western version) and the Japanese rabbit on the moon :-)

• Digimist

May 23rd, 2010 at 20:21

Great work Martin

• May 23rd, 2010 at 21:32

Simple, but impressive use of the HD Video capabilities. Thanks for sharing.

• May 23rd, 2010 at 22:07

Amazing video Martin, really amazing! I kept thinking what it must have been like to have been on the moon surface when all the craters were created, explosion after explosion,

Really good detail for all the stacked extenders and super long focal length and I bet it was a bunch of fun to shoot – thank you for sharing!

• May 23rd, 2010 at 22:28

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Sean, I’m going to shoot it again, at various stages. I’ve been wanting to do a half moon for some time, because it accentuates the craters in the middle. I’m going to get more footage though, as I love the moon. I have done since I was a teenager with a telescope. :-)

Rick, the details are much more forgiving in HD compared to 21MP still photographs, because the resolution is lower. I also shot some stills, and they are just about usable. :-)

• May 24th, 2010 at 01:48

This is a great Video, the crater details are just amazing!

• cguevara_aguilar

May 24th, 2010 at 04:44

Very inspiring, thanks for taking so much of your time to share it with all your knowledge. Best regards from Puebla, Mexico.

• Pingback: Joseph Cristina

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Augie De Blieck Jr.

• Halie Hovenga

May 26th, 2010 at 02:17

Martin, this is so peaceful and beautiful. I don’t have sound at work, so I’ll have to watch it again later with the music. Thank you for the post on struggling to feel creative. It helps me to hear that others have such self doubts. And look at this gorgeous video that came of it.
    Halie

• May 26th, 2010 at 13:02

Thanks Mickey and cguevara_aguilar!

Thanks Halie too! Please do watch again with music. I think this is one of those times when 1+1 equals more than 2.

• Milt Lyerly

June 18th, 2010 at 02:47

Martin, your videography is equal to your great still photography. Wonderful composition and music editing. My god-daughter, Mikiko, in visiting her family in Tokyo for the summer. Watching this has helped me not miss her as much. Thanks for sharing the Eastern Moon to a South Carolinian.

• June 19th, 2010 at 19:21

Hi Milt,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I’m pleased you like the video, and it’s great that it helped to not miss Mikiko as much. :-)

Cheers,
    Martin.

• July 3rd, 2010 at 05:10

Just saw your Moon video video. Spellbinding, meditative, wonderful. Great work Martin.

• July 5th, 2010 at 15:05

Thanks Larry!

• Jac

August 17th, 2011 at 23:39

I heard you on Tips from the top floor and wanted to see the moon video. Absolutley awesome…very good stuff, have enjoyed it on my computer monitor, looking forward to seeing at home on the big screen…5 minutes of relaxation and beauty!………..and inspiration
    clicksbycomfort.smugmug.com

Regards,
    Jac

• Walter Lustig

August 23rd, 2011 at 01:50

Also heard about it on TFTTF being a listener of both podcasts. Have to say that you two guys (you and Ludwig) did a great job on this! The capture is superb and the music really enhances the experience.

And as usual many thanks for all the background details of stacking your lenses, licensing the music, etc.

You were right when saying that Ludwig must have you in mind when composing it ;-)

Cheers
    Walter

• Pingback: Martin Bailey

• Pingback: Podcast 315 : What’s in the Bag – Nature and Wildlife | Martin Bailey Photography