If you should have any suggestions, problems or questions about the Photographer’s Friend for iOS App, please drop us a line with the below form or tap on Contact Us under the Photographer’s Friend Links tab on your device to open up a new email to send us. Our email address will be in the new email ready to go.
In the Depth of Field Calculator, if you activate Pixel Peeper Mode while the Hyperfocal Distance is transferred to the Focus Distance dial, the Focus Distance dial is not updated to the recalculated Hyperfocal Distance. Tapping the Hyperfocal Distance label updates the dial, but I’ll try to fix this at some point for a future release.
Version 3.0.4 (build 3.0.4)
- The focus distance dial is now updated to the new Hyperfocal Distance if the Hyperfocal Distance was actively being transferred to the focus distance dial when Pixel Peeper mode is activated or the megapixels changed.
- The focus distance dial is also now correctly updated if a new aperture is sent to the Depth of Field Calculator from the Exposure Shift Calculator while the Hyperfocal Distance is being transferred to the focus distance dial.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Exposure Shift Calculator screen to be displayed if the Depth of Field Calculator settings were changed straight after the aperture being transferred from the Exposure Shift Calculator.
- Fixed an embarrassing typo in the Startup Help for the Exposure Shift Calculator.
Version 3.0.3 (build 3.0.3)
- Tweaked the decimal points in the Depth of Field Calculator a little more, to display even more detail for very shallow depth of field measurements.
- Under the hood, the code has been tweaked and updated to Swift 4.2.
Version 3.0 (build 3.0.2)
This is a paid update as we’ve added an awesome third calculator.
Introducing the Exposure Shift Calculator!
Version 2.5 (build 2.5.2)
- We made Depth of Field calculation more accurate throughout and added more decimal places for small numbers to make the DoF Calculator more useful in macro photography
- Photographer’s Friend now remembers the last tab you were using rather than returning to the Depth of Field calculator after a restart
- Updated the Neutral Density calculator icons
- Added a link to a new Online Video Tutorials page with tutorials for each calculator
- Added a link to Photographer’s Friend version 3.0
*** Note that although we will continue to maintain version 2.5 of Photographer’s Friend for the foreseeable future, all new features and enhancements moving forward will be added to version 3 ***
Version 2.3.2 (build 2.3.2)
- Added support for 1-inch sensor size cameras, such as the Sony RX100M5.
- Just select 1″ from the Format dial in the Depth of Field calculator to use this newly added sensor format.
Version 2.3 (build 2.3.1)
- Introducing Pixel Peeper mode!
- When enabled we calculate Depth of Field and Diffraction Limits from camera sensor size and megapixels.
- Diffraction warning color coding for Airy Disk display and Aperture dial, selectable independently. Green when no problems, amber when there’s a risk of seeing effects of diffraction, and red when diffraction limited.
- Added a new row of labels and button in the Depth of Field calculator for Advanced settings and information display.
- The Pixel Pitch display label can be tapped toggle between Pixel Pitch and selected megapixels.
- You can now enter a custom Circle of Confusion size as a basis for Depth of Field calculation.
- Updated Depth of Field calculator help with information on custom Circle of Confusion and Pixel Peeper mode.
- Added a link to a detailed article on Circle of Confusion, Airy Disk, and Diffraction to the links section.
- Updated screen layouts to support iPhone X.
- Fixed an ND Calculator bug that caused filter values to be included in calculation even after a partial slide of filter cell caused them to be deselected
Version 2.2 (build 2.2.1)
- Selected Neutral Density filters are now saved and restored after app or device restart
- Added new Help pages with information on hiding/unhiding ND filters and updated other Help screenshots
- Changed the Contact Us web link to point to the app Technical Support page contact form
- Fixed a bug that caused the Quick Tips to be displayed every time the [Focus ft/m] label is tapped after the first install of the app.
Version 2.1.2 (build 2.1.2)
- Fixed a bug that crashed the app when the Help page links were tapped
Version 2.1 (build 2.1.1)
- Added the ability to hide and unhide the neutral density filters. Slide left to hide. Press the (number of filters) Hidden button to see all hidden filters, and slide left again to unhide them as necessary.
- Tapping the Hyperfocal Distance label now changes its color when the [Focus ft/m] is set to Hyperfocal Distance, and tapping again now restores the initially selected focus distance
- Added two more medium format Camera Types and three new large format Camera Types
- Added some Quick Tips to DoF Calc that display on the first launch to relay a few essential tips to help avoid confusion
- Added a Quick Tips button in DoF Calc to present Quick Tips at any time
- Changed help pages to stop truncation when the device’s system text size is set to larger than the default setting
- Corrected an error where the Crop Factor 1.5 and Crop Factor 1.6 labels were reversed
- Tweaked Depth of Field calculations for greater accuracy
- Added an About Photographer’s Friend page to the bottom of the Help links page
- Added a link to the Links tab to request to rate and review the app on the App Store
- Squished a few other minor bugs
Version 2.0 (build: 2.0.5)
Completely rebuilt the app from the ground up!
- Made the app universal, now supporting iPhone and iPad
- Enabled both vertical and horizontal orientation use
- Now works with iPad Split View
- Included an improved user experience for the Depth of Field Calculator
- Included an all-new Neutral Density Calculator
- Changed the links page to include more links to helpful and relevant documents
- Removed the old Podcasts Player, and included a link that opens the Podcast in the Apple Podcast app on the device
- Included the Contact Us options in the Links tab
- Included a Help tab with multi-page help for the Depth of Field calculator and Neutral Density calculator